Sunday, July 20, 2014

Roasted Rosemary Nuts

Perfect snack with your favorite summer beverage:  spicy-sweet-salty-herby nuts.



I saw the original recipe from Farm Cafe in Portland, Oregon when I was still living there. I tried it but something didn't quite work for me (or I did something wrong, who knows).  I kept the recipe because I was convinced I would like it but it's been in my files, ignored, for nearly 10 years.  

I dusted it off recently and was inspired to make them again, with some revisions from the original recipe.  I used almonds instead of hazelnuts -- the latter aren't as available here as in the Northwest, and aren't as inexpensive.  I changed the method a bit but kept all other ingredients as listed.  Here, then, is what I did.

ROASTED ROSEMARY NUTS

Ingredients:
  • 2 c. almonds
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 3 T. chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 T. kosher salt
  • 5 dashes hot pepper sauce 
Method:

Slowly heat sugar, salt, hot sauce, and a tablespoon of water in a pan over low heat.  Stir constantly until sugar is melted and very warm, adding another tablespoon of water if needed, but keep it minimal.  Give the heat a chance to melt the sugar; if you add too much water it will be too liquid-y.  

Stir in nuts and rosemary; transfer to pan lined with a sheet of parchment paper, keeping nuts in a single layer.  Bake at 325 for 15 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes. Keep a close eye the oven as the nuts can brown quickly.  Remove from oven and transfer quickly to a clean sheet of parchment paper.  Cool completely and break apart; store in airtight container.

Notes:

These are yummy -- a perfect blend of sweet, salty, and herb.  I halved the recipe but didn't reduce the hot sauce and still can barely detect it so next time I'll increase it just a little.

Use only the minimum amount of water you can get away with or your nuts may turn out more sticky-gooey than nicely glazed. 

I picked up the sheet of parchment paper from the baking pan to toss when I realized the leftover glaze was coming off in flaky bits.  I saved all this sweet rosemary goodness to add to salads... and may think of some other uses as well!

I don't remember what I didn't like about these the first time I tried  making them but I'm hooked now! They make me want to cook, eat, dance, love!


No comments: